This recipe is from the website Iraqi Family Cookbook.
“Kay Karim grew up in Baghdad, and immigrated to the United States in 1968. She kept her family heritage alive through cooking these traditional meals for family and friends.”
There are a bunch of great recipes on that website. Check it out. In the meantime, this soup sounds delicious.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- ½ cup of rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 bunch of swiss chard washed and chopped
- 5 cups of water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dried mint
- Sauté onion & garlic in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and water.
- When it starts to boil, add rice.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Add swiss chard, lemon juice and mint.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.