If you have ever had the privilege of having fresh labane topped with rich za’atar, drizzled with that perfectly green olive oil – the best really being from the Druze – you know what heaven tastes like. What follows is an adaptation, from my friend Ruth Genn, who got it from Rajey at the neighbourhood Lebanese grocery here in Park Slope – “D’vine Taste.” It is a slightly less fattening version, and still delicious! Makes for a great snack, or breakfast.
- Fage brand yoghurt (Greek strained yoghurt; I like the 2% kind)
- Wasa brand crackers (or Kavli or Ryvita)
- Sesame seeds
- Optional: olive oil
- lightly toast sesame seeds in a pan – add the za’atar; mix it up
- spread some greek yoghurt (makeshift labane) on the cracker
- dress liberally with the za’atar & sesame seed mixture. Yum.